Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Peeve

I realized that I have a pet peeve which is the over use of the standing ovation. It means nothing these days. Once one person stands up the others around them feel like jerks is they don't follow suit. It's a shame.... a real shame.

3 Comments:

Blogger Danielle said...

That's one of my peeves too! I once heard someone say you shouldn't give more than a few standing ovations in your lifetime -- the honor is meant to be that high.

I imagine at one time, the standing ovation had that kind of significance, but you're right that it's pretty meaningless now. I don't think I've been to a live professional performance that didn't receive a standing ovation.

I've often sat there feeling like a jerk while everyone else stands and claps, but I'll admit that I'm a standing ovation snob.

7:07 PM  
Blogger Kim said...

I'm with Danielle. I feel like an idiot, but I refuse to stand anymore. I wonder what it must have been like when standing ovations meant something. Maybe I learned this while living with the two of you...

7:48 AM  
Blogger steve said...

while we're on the subject...

if I hear one more person clap at the end of a movie, I'm seriously going to lose it.

8:10 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home