Thursday, June 05, 2008

Summer Reading

So now that school is over and the class I had to take is done....


... mmmmm
... uhhh

I hardly know what to do with myself. I took a trip to the library yesterday to pick up some fun summer reads. The good ones I knew about were already checked out. I'll have to put my name on the waiting list. But mostly I just felt really out of it. I need some new ideas.

So what have you read lately? I need some good recommendations.



Here, in no particular order, are the one's I've liked lately:


Eat, Love, Pray by Elizabeth Gilbert
Michelle recommended this one and I couldn't put it down. After I was finished I just missed reading about her life and, sadly, other books I tried couldn't fill the void. Thanks, Michelle.


Tender at the Bone by Ruth Reichl
This one was recommended to me by Camille Anderson. Ruth is the editor of Grommet magazine and formerly the food critic for the New York Times. This is the first of her 3 books of memoirs and is about her growing up years. I have to admit that I am in love with the first couple of chapters. They are the funniest thing I have read in a long time. Now I hope that they don't disappoint because I talked them up... but Gian liked them a lot too!

I skipped her middle book which I hear is mostly about her dysfunctional 20's and 30's and went straight for her last book. Garlic and Sapphires.

This one is about her days at the New York Times and all the lengths she went to to stay anonymous. It was intriguing to go with her to so many restaurants and hear about all the great food and sneaky disguises. I'm still reading it but so far it's been a good read.


I'd love to know what's on YOUR night-stand.

7 Comments:

Blogger Danielle said...

Hey Andrea! How are you?

I was thinking of reading "Eat, Pray, Love" this summer. I'm glad you liked it.

I also want to read "Life of Pi". Have you read it? I've heard lots of good things about it.

9:40 PM  
Blogger Giandrea said...

HHhmmmm. That's one I haven't heard of. I'll have to look into it. Thanks

10:16 PM  
Blogger vantastic said...

I read "life of Pi" It is pretty good and interesting. Also I read "The Secret Life of Bees" which I loved. Right now I am reading "Catcher and The Rye" because I never have before and a Spanish novel called "Niebla" Also, my roommate is reading a book called "Blindness" and says it is very good. I trust her opinion...ps Have you ever read "The Great Gatsby"? Or "Persuasion" by Jane Austen? I love that one. Sooooo many good books....only 3 months in summer vacation! Also this comment is so long, but I can't wait to see you again soon!

10:13 AM  
Blogger Cammie said...

Hey Andrea,

So these books aren't on my night-stand yet but I've been meaning to get them. The two that I'm thinking of right now are "Animal Vegetable Miracle" and "The Spirit Catches You and You Fall Down".

So, many books to read...

I was just watching Democracy Now and one of the guest on the show is an amazing author, Louis Erdrich, who wrote a book called "Love Medicine". Her latest is called "The Plague of Doves" and I'm really excited to read as well. Have you heard of it?

11:55 AM  
Blogger Mike and Laura said...

Andy--
First, I am so glad you texted us and gave us your blog site. It's great to see how you guys are doing. As for some summer reading, I just finished a memoir called "Funny in Farsi" by Firoozeh Dumas. It's about a girl growing up Persian in America and all her experiences. It was pretty fun and a quick read! Have a great summer off! :)

Laura

5:07 PM  
Blogger BirdieMann said...

I've read a lot of good books lately and we have a lot you could borrow so we will discuss the next time we are together. You could also join the very fun and exciting goodreads.com. If you like keeping track of what you want to read and have read, and seeing what your friends are reading... its for you. =) This is mine: http://www.goodreads.com/user/show/138482

10:20 PM  
Blogger Michelle said...

Hi Andry,

I love sharing book ideas with you. you are my kind of girl and reader (unfortunately, unlike most of my book club.) where'd you go...already out of the ward? when was the good-bye party? so sad.

7:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home