I've been thinking...
I've been sitting half naked in my dining room for a full hour trying to get motivated to workout. It just doesn't sound that great right now.
Also, I keep thinking about the mini series.
Gian has brought to my attention just how great the mini series format is and the more I think about it the more I agree. It is very frustrating to watch movies that are based on books.
If you have already read the book the movie is sure to fall short because the movies never have enough time to build the character or the plot as well as the book and they leave out so many key parts of the story because they have to try to squeeze it into a single sitting.
If you haven't read the book you can sense that there are gaping holes in the story but don't have the knowledge to fill them in which leaves one feeling very disconnected and usually bored.
One of the most recent examples is Harry Potter. Imagine how great it would be to watch the whole story in a series of detailed episodes. If in mini series format that one guy might have even had time to announce that he was the Half-Blood Prince in a significant climaxing way rather than mentioning it like it's what's for dinner and running off into the night.
Or how about Lord of the Rings? It's great but it just gets so long. If it were broken up into episodes they could easily put in all that great extra scenes they have. Gian always complains that they left out Tom Bombadil who was one of his favorite characters. If it were a mini series there would be no need to cut him out. So much of the literary masterpiece is lost when they cut and slash. And lets face it who wouldn't want more of such a great story? The fans can't get enough. It sure would help elevate the bad feelings I have towards movies that ruin great books.
The invention of the miseries is a stroke of genius that is greatly underused in American entertainment. At least the British caught on a long time ago.
... but I still don't want to exercise.
















6 Comments:
Okay, but what about a totally lame book that ruined a great movie? Meaning, I read Julie and Julia before I saw the movie and I HATED the book. It was just full of buzz topics like swearing, sex, and scandal. I was hoping for a great story about food, but I got a lame story about an early blogger.
I knew the movie would be better. It was a great idea for a movie. It really was a great idea. Anyway, I saw the movie. I loved Meryl Streep in it. It just could have been more.... if there were a better book to have built it from.... or just more brave writers to stray from the book....
Not really a comment about the mini series (which seems like a great idea to me) as much as it is a comment about how I didn't really like reading Julie Powell's book.
interesting dilemma, Camille. I'm not sure i've ever like a movie and not the book or even thought that it might happen. I've wanted to see that movie because of meryl.
That's so funny. I was just telling Max yesterday about how mini-series are the best way to put a book in movie form. We're in the process of watching "John Adams" on Bluray.
Mini-series are really the only way to do justice to a book. Not only do they have more time to fit in plot etc., but mini-series also tend to be lower budget, which means there's less Hollywood drama and special effects to crap up the movie.
"Pride & Prejudice" is another great example. So well done! I reads "Sense & Sensibility" last month and then watched the Emma Thompson movie afterwards. It's a decent movie but I was really disappointed in it.
haha you crack me up. I think mini series for harry potter is a genius idea! I hate how they leave out so many great parts of the book...but imagine if they didn't...the movie would be 10 hours long. By the end you would have forgotten what happened in the beginning. haha I would say the key to keep motivated to work out...do it first thing in the morning. I would do that...but I hate waking up before work at 8 AM. lazy. i know. pahahaha
mini series are a good idea. I bet all the twilight fans will agree too.
true.
Post a Comment
<< Home